Monday, March 14, 2011

I am a connoisseur

Day 12

I love words.

I first discovered a love for words as a kid when I fell in love with books. I was reading novels before I was 10. I get lost in books. It puts me in a good mood to read; it helps my stress go down and helps me relax. I love reading on the beach in the summer, and under a blanket in the winter. I love to touch books, look at books, keep books. I don't use libraries because I don't want to give my books up once I have them. I refuse to enter into the world of virtual books on a kindle or nook; I can't turn the pages and store it on my bookshelf. Books bring me closer to my friends. My best friends and I get together for a book club almost every month. Take it from me, books are even better when they come with great food, wine and company.

Tonight I wanted to write about books; my day today has led me to taking it one step further to words. I have always loved words on a page while reading. As I have mentioned, I am falling in love with putting words on pages by writing. And I was reminded of the power of the spoken word today.

Lesson 1 today: Words can bring confidence and joy. When we pay compliments to those who don't get to hear often enough how beautiful they are, the power of words is unleashed. Self-confidence, happiness, self-worth. All for the 100% free act of telling someone how beautiful they are. Lesson 2 today: Sometimes words are extremely painful, but if openness is present, they can really help someone grow into a wiser person. Willingness to bear the uncomfortable pain in words helps to foster love, learning and forgiveness.

As I approach my 3rd decade next week, I am mindful that I will continue to love words. I will love the written word as I always have, and will continue to pay attention to the power of the spoken word. Ever since I was a kid I always thought the saying "sticks and stones may break my bones, but words can never hurt me" was untrue. I think that sticks, stones and words can hurt you. They can also relax you, entertain you, help you grow, and help you to learn.

About me:
1. I am a rightionist who is striving to wing it every once in a while.
2. I am inspired by others; I am on this earth to relate to others. I am a social worker.
3. I love stuff, until it turns to shit.
4. I am aware of extraordinary growth, even on ordinary days.
5. I embrace change, if it's my idea.
6. I am willing to commit to the smaller stuff; I will find strength in pain.
7. I have to find my own way. I have found my way to loving writing, and am on my way to loving myself.
8. I am a daughter, a girlfriend, a sister, a cousin and a best friend. I belong to a family.
9. My hope springs eternal.
10. I am able to realize when it's time to simplify.
11. I have talents; I am an academic, an artist, and many other things yet discovered.
12. I immerse myself in words; I am a connoisseur of reading, writing and speaking.
J

No comments:

Post a Comment