Wednesday, May 30, 2012

You run, you learn

Life has been really busy, but I have still been running...it is almost compulsive because of my nerves excitement about the 10K in a 2.5 weeks. I have a TON of (really fun) things going on before that too, so I am nervous I won't have enough time to get all my training runs in before the big day.

Niki (who is doing the 10K with me) and I went out Sunday morning to run. The temps here in Michigan were in the 90's the past whole weekend. Sunday morning was a bit cloudy, and it looked like it might rain, which I would have welcomed on a 4 mile run. We started out with the temp in the mid-70's, and by time we finished our 4 miles, it was almost 90. It became completely sunny and the temp went up by almost 15 degrees in about an hour. I was DYING.

Tonight, I went out to do 4.5 miles. At one mile I started to feel that familiar pain in my leg. I stopped, did some stretches that have been helping, and went back at it with great results. I was running in a small park near my house that has a .75 mile track. When I hit my goal of 4.5 miles, I was half way around the track. I decided to just keep going until I hit 5 miles. It was much cooler, which helped. I think it is kind of funny though how my body began to reject any distance over my set goal. Right after 4.5 mile my knee and right calf began hurting...they have never bothered me before.

I was talking to one of my best friends and recent fellow runner this weekend about the training and upcoming 10K. I told her I have realized one of the reasons I have learned to love running. Each and every time I go for a run, I have to overcome a new challenge. It teaches me something new every time. Here's what I have learned so far:


  • I can go nearly 2x the distance if the temperature is at or under 70, and feel much better doing it
  • My mind will give up before my body does; a quick body and breath scan gets me back on track
  • I will not reach every goal I set every day, but that doesn't I won't steadily move towards the long term goal
  • The longer I run, the better I feel; the first 10 minutes are complete torture
  • Running with a friend is huge motivation, even if you never say a word to each other because of your headphones
  • If you feel a pain that isn't normal, stop. It won't just work itself out. 
  • I will quit earlier if my clothing or headphones are bugging me. Therefore, I only wear about three different outfits to run in, and wear a specific type of headband over my ears to keep my headphones from falling out constantly, regardless of the temp. I'm sure people comment on how awesome I look ;)
  • Just because shoes cost more doesn't mean they will work better. Likewise, the way shoes look should be the last reason to buy them
  • Don't run in anything made of cotton
  • If you feel like you need to walk, then walk. Eventually, you won't feel that way anymore. 
This list is brief, I think I could go on for a while longer. I know it will continue to grow too. 



2 comments:

  1. I like point #3. Actually, I like them all. :) you are going to rock that 10k. I am so proud of you for building up to this!

    ReplyDelete