Monday, March 7, 2011

I embrace change

Day 5

I've been thinking about change today. It has been a theme happening around me for the the last few days, and I think my reactions are curious.

Sometimes, I love change. Take for example, my hair. (Side note: I love how my hair has made two appearances in this journey so far. The truth is, I have had a love/hate relationship with my hair forever. It is thin, and fine, and curly. Talk about a winning combination.) This past weekend, I got my haircut; when I told my cousin TM I wanted bangs she looked skeptical, but we went for it anyway. And it turned out really cute. Last spring I decided I wanted to dye part of my hair bright pink--super fitting for a recent masters level graduate and future professional. And I loved that too.

But change is not always welcome by me. Tonight I went with my family for our regular Monday night spot for dinner. The menu was recently changed, at it threw everyone off. No one was really pleased with the food experience because of all the newness. Or, take the fact that as I am writing this very blog tonight, yet ANOTHER key fell off the keyboard of my 6-year-old laptop that I refuse to replace. And even though I am now missing the C, H, and new tonight, the N key, I still don't want a new laptop. I like the one I have.

So what is it about this wishy-washy attitude I have about change? I think it is about control. I am ok with changing things if I make the decision to do so. Like my hair. If it is my idea, then I will embrace the change. If not, I am not ok with it. So maybe change isn't what makes us so uncomfortable in life; it is in fact true that we can't stop change. But if we feel like we have some sense of control over it, maybe we can accept it, own it. That's why we embrace bangs, yet fear a new laptop.

And how fitting and poetic that if you add the A, G, and E keys to the already missing keys on my laptop, you can make the word change. Change and age. Maybe life isn't all that random.

About me:
1. I am a rightionist who is striving to wing it every once in a while.
2. I am inspired by others; I am on this earth to relate to others. I am a social worker.
3. I love stuff, until it turns to shit.
4. I am aware of extraordinary growth, even on ordinary days.
5. I embrace change, if it's my idea.
J

1 comment:

  1. These are wonderful! Made me smile... each in their own way!!!

    ReplyDelete