Thursday, March 17, 2011

I am eternally learning

Day 15

Ah, St. Patrick's Day. I know it's getting close now.

On with the conclusions. I had the most amazing conversation with one of my students today. This happens everyday, because of the great students I work with, but today's conversation struck something to me. Something I have known, and is very much a huge part of me. And I realized it is one of the most defining things about me.


Conclusion 2: I am a student. I will always be learning.

As many of you are aware, I went slowly through my undergraduate degree, and then went straight into grad school. This means I spent about 8 years straight in college. I got very used to this environment. It is rich with exploring, reading and thinking of new ideas, and constantly challenging yourself and others around you. When I graduated almost a year ago, I entered into a very dynamic career within a university that allows me to continue in this environment. I thrive on it, I thrive within it.

So what does this have to do with my identity? Lots. As a kid, my favorite quote was "what does not kill you will only make you stronger". As an adult, I often quote and definitely live by the philosophy of learning from the past, and remaining focused on what you can control in the present moment.My favorite quote as an adult- "I am not what happened to me, I am what I choose to become". These quotes and this philosophy speak to something I beleive very strongly: we must remain students of ourselves. We must always be paying attention to our habits, our actions, our beliefs about ourselves. And then, we have to take it one step further, and live by what we notice, what we learn in ourselves. Remain a student, keep that open mind that allows us to challenge ourselves and others. Always be wiling to learn new things.

So, while I may not be in class anymore, or writing papers or taking exams, I am still a student. I am a student of life, and always will be. Because I think it is dangerous to not be; if we aren't continuing to learn and reflect, then we get stuck. I never want to be stuck. I want to be enlightened.

I promised myself (and WB) that I would take two years off school completely before considering going back. I am almost one year in. It is nice I must admit; I am running at a much slower pace now. But I am still learning. My interests are growing; I am working on art, I am exploring photography. I am traveling. And I am remaining a student through every step.

About me:
1. I am a rightionist who is striving to wing it every once in a while.
2. I am inspired by others; I am on this earth to relate to others. I am a social worker.
3. I love stuff, until it turns to shit.
4. I am aware of extraordinary growth, even on ordinary days.
5. I embrace change, if it's my idea.
6. I am willing to commit to the smaller stuff; I will find strength in pain.
7. I have to find my own way. I have found my way to loving writing, and am on my way to loving myself.
8. I am a daughter, a girlfriend, a sister, a cousin and a best friend. I belong to a family.
9. My hope springs eternal.
10. I am able to realize when it's time to simplify.
11. I have talents; I am an academic, an artist, and many other things yet discovered.
12. I immerse myself in words; I am a connoisseur of reading, writing and speaking.
13. I am a control freak searching for calm waters.
14. I am accepting of my nerdiness.
15. I am eternally learning.
J

1 comment:

  1. 5) You embrace change.
    13) You seek calm waters

    Addendum) You are a paradox

    8) You are a niece too sweetie. I love you for doing this very brave thing. It's inspiring.

    ReplyDelete