Sunday, April 15, 2012

6 (frustrating) miles

I have been planning to do a 6 mile run for a couple of weeks. It seemed like something was always getting in the way so I couldn't-I worked late a couple nights, which didn't leave me enough time. I get allergy shots once a week, and can't exercise afterwards...overall, my schedule was making it tough to get in a 6 miler. On Friday I decided Saturday morning was going to be the day! This 6 mile run has been a goal of mine ever since I decided to try a 10K this summer. I decided on a route outside, and was really excited to go early in the morning. When I woke up it was pouring rain and thundering...I was really bummed. I stalled a little while, checked the weather radar about 100 times before resigning to the fact that is probably wasn't going to be a day to run outside. The rain let up a little, but I knew a 6 mile run would keep me outside for more than an hour, and I didn't want to get caught in a storm.

I HATE running on the treadmill. But I was determined to do this run, so I went to the gym and pounded out the entire 6 miles on the treadmill. I was excited that I had made it, but irritated too. I use the Nike run app on my iPod to track my runs. It will work on the treadmill, so I used it. For some reason, it was almost a full mile behind the treadmill, and got farther behind with every mile. I wanted to use the run app to mark my distance, but got frustrated when the treadmill said I went 6 miles, and my run app hadn't even hit 5. I felt like I had run 6 miles, and was almost at the 90 minute mark. I tried to walk it out to hit 6 miles on my run app just so it would show in my history that I made 6 miles on this day.

One of the worst things about running on a treadmill for me is the lack of changing scenery. I get so BORED. At 90 minutes in, I was super bored. I clicked open Facebook as I tried to walk out the last mile for my run app, and learned about the death in the family of my lifetime best friends. I was excited to have reached my run goal, frustrated about the app, and really shocked and sad about the loss in their family. I decided I was done, and stopped short of hitting the 6 miles on my run app. The treadmill read 6.4 miles, so I am going with that reading! I do think it was more accurate-my run app was reporting I was running at a pace of 15 minute miles. I walk faster than a 15 minute mile, and I wasn't walking. I can't wait to try the 6 miles outside. I know I can do it faster and with fewer walk breaks, something I have to do often on the treadmill for some reason. I just hope my run app is more accurate outside so I know for sure what distance I am at.

I am wondering if anyone has better luck with accuracy from a different running app? I'd love a Garmin, it's just not in my budget right now!

1 comment:

  1. well you did great anyway Jamie I love you. Grammy B

    ReplyDelete